Thanks to a great fellow blogger, Kassidy of Inking It Up Crazy, we are celebrating her birthday all month long. Today I am the guest designer and I wanted to share a faux metal technique using heat embossing. It is so easy that you are not going to believe it. Before we get to that, let's all say "Happy Birthday Kassidy"
Here is the finished product....
How did I do this? Well let me explain. Here is a picture of all the supplies I used:
We have my Stampin' Up Versamark, silver embossing powder and embossing buddy, my Inkadinkadoo clear embossing powder, and my heating tool from a major chain store. Not pictured is my Sizzix Big Shot, Stampin' Up Heart punch and Cuttlebug D'vine Swirls embossing folder. The first step was to take me yellow paper and emboss it with the Cuttlebug folder. I then took a purple marker and went over the dry embossed areas. I took the Versamark and patted it on the entire card front. Take the clear embossing powder and cover the card front generously. I usually pat the embossing powder to ensure that it covers the area. Tap off the excess and use your heat tool to "melt" the powder. You have to make sure that you move the heat tool around so you do not burn the paper. Here is what I ended up with:
I love inking and was happy with the muted look. To get the faux metal technique I took a piece of white cardstock and punched out my heart shape with my Stampin' Up punch.
I covered the heart front with Versamark and dipped it into the silver embossing powder; again, patting it for full coverage and then tapping off the excess. You have to using the heating tool to melt the powder. While it is still hot, dip it into the embossing powder and heat again. You will repeat this step one more time (or until you are happy with the look). While it is still warm, you can take a stamp and make an impression into the "metal". Here is the results:
I added a Stampin' Up rhinestone embellishment to the center for some bling. Putting the rest together was easy peasy. Here is the end result:
The ribbon is from a Stampin' Up ribbon swap I participated in. As you can see I trimmed the yellow down so the purple A2 card base would show.
I hope that you enjoyed this little tutorial and I wish you success in trying this. Should you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Hop on over to Inking It Up Crazy with Kassidy for the contest going on. I currently have a video rendering that we recorded for another worthwhile cause I participated in. I hope to post it a little bit later. Until then....
P.S. This will be posted for Made It Myself Mondays too :)